Are you feeling worn out? You don’t have to stay that way. There’s this handy little gadget I have—an emergency phone charger. I charge it at home, then keep it with me as I go about my day. If my phone battery gets low, I can pull out my emergency charger and it will give the battery a boost. It’s not usually a full charge, but it’s enough to last until I can get home and get it back to 100%.
Occasionally, I need a little boost, too. Life is busy and full of responsibilities, and sometimes my own battery gets drained physically, emotionally, or mentally. Are you feeling worn out? You may not have the opportunity for a full recharge in the moment, but there are things you can do for a power-up. Here are six of my favorite ideas:
1. Take a 10-minute walk. Just a little stroll gets blood flowing, clears the mind, and brings peace to the heart. Take time to notice the simple beauty of your surroundings – beauty is everywhere if you look for it.
2. Listen to your favorite song. This only takes three or four minutes, but it can have a big impact. Tune everything else out and let the music and lyrics lift your mood and restore your soul … sometimes a little dance break can help too! Life.Church has some great worship music too.
3. Note the good stuff. Grab a pen or your phone, and make a note of a few things you’re thankful for. Intentional gratitude is a powerful way to shift your perspective on life, and sometimes that’s just the emotional energizer you need to keep going.
4. Be randomly kind. When I’m drained, I tend to focus on myself and my needs. Even a small act of kindness can get me out of my own head for a moment. Whether it’s smiling and waving at a passing child, paying for the person behind you in the drive-through line, or helping someone struggling with a package – lending a hand is a real pick-me-up! Find plenty of ideas in the How to Neighbor Bible Plan.
5. Spend time in a place you’re welcome and accepted. That place for me is my Life.Church campus. At each weekend experience you can experience uplifting and refreshing community while hearing a great message of hope. Give it a try, and see if it doesn’t give your battery a boost!
6. Ask for prayer. Reach out to a friend, someone at church, or your family and stop together to pray. Even a prayer over the phone or through text can really bring joy and change your perspective. We’d love to pray with you too!