The unofficial end of summer is upon us, but we’ve got some great ideas for things to do on Labor Day to make the most of it. As school starts up again for the kids, and the business world moves steadily toward the 4th quarter crunch, take some time to soak in the last few rays of this year’s dog days.
Here’s a list of things to do on Labor Day to make your holiday fun and meaningful.
- Set up a picnic table and grill up some barbecue in your front yard so that you can meet your neighbors.
- Find a busy park or corner and set up a free lemonade stand for passersby who need a cool drink and a smile.
- Host an ice cream bar (complete with toppings!) for your co-workers.
- Challenge your kids to come up with random acts of kindness and then go out in the community together to make them happen. Pay for the car behind you in the drive-through, leave a note of thanks with your tip at a restaurant, bring some outdoor toys to the park and share them with others, etc.
- Equip yourself with chalk and leave notes of encouragement on public sidewalks.
- Invite your neighbors to join you on an evening walk.
- Start a family tradition for Labor Day that maximizes the time you spend together, such as: no screens for the weekend or intentionally eating every meal at a table together.
- Show up at a coffee shop with board games. Invite friends to meet you or make some new friends with the people around you.
- Pick something unique to your hometown that you’ve never explored, and play tourist with a local adventure.
- Get out in nature. Hit the pool or a splash pad one last time. Go camping, or glamping, if that’s more your style. Pack a picnic and pick a spot to enjoy your feast.
When we rest from our work, we’re given the opportunity to refresh ourselves. When we keep our eyes focused on God, we benefit from spiritual refreshment as well. God calls us to love one another, and to be examples in our lifestyles. When we keep this in mind, even a staycation can be an act of worship. Acts of kindness attract others to us and point them to our loving Father.
Hopefully our list will inspire some fun in your holiday weekend and also kickstart some of the relationships around you in your everyday life.