I want to show you how to find good friends in a LifeGroup. But first, let me tell you how I got here. One day, I went to church and decided it was time for me to try the whole following Jesus thing. I was just so lost. I needed one of those giant maps you see at the mall to tell me where I was and how to get where I needed to go. Maybe you can relate?
After three months of really trying to be more like Jesus, I had read two books of the Bible and bought five Christian Rock albums. My desire was growing, but so was my frustration. Why did this whole thing feel more like work and less like life? I needed help. I needed a tribe. I mean, Jesus lived in community with His good friends, shouldn’t I do the same?
I decided to try going to a LifeGroup. It worked. I began growing in my faith, obedience, and understanding of what following Jesus was all about. In fact, one year later I found myself leading a LifeGroup. My eternity changed when I raised my hand and accepted Jesus, but my life changed when I found my LifeGroup. If that’s not enough to convince you to find good friends in a LifeGroup, here are 13 more reasons to find yours.
- Good friends are awesome. They really are. Hang around some good people and eventually it rubs off on you. Not that you weren’t already awesome, but now you’re a more-well-rounded awesome. Psalm 133:1
- Life wasn’t meant to be lived on a screen. Face-to-face coffee and conversations are more rewarding than Facebook notifications & group texts.
- You have gifts. LifeGroups aren’t just about what you get out of them, but also what you contribute to them. God will use you—your talents, your gifts, your words, and your story—to impact those in your LifeGroup. Proverbs 27:17
- You’re flawed. So is your group! Doesn’t if feel good to know you’re not the only one who binge-watched Gilmore Girls—while at the office? Seriously though, friends who have faced what you are facing is huge.
- You’re busy. Life doesn’t stop. We have responsibilities. One of those responsibilities is to keep ourselves connected to other Jesus followers. A scheduled LifeGroup is an easy way to keep those relationships from ending up on the back-burner.
- You’re tired. All of that busyness takes a toll. Let people help you. Galatians 6:9
- You’re bored. You know why you play Candy Crush for three hours before you go to bed? It’s not because it’s awesome. It’s because it’s distracting you from boredom. You were created for so much more! Level-up on serving the community and getting involved with your LifeGroup. You’ll be glad you did.
- You’re distracted. With so much going on day in and day out, it’s easy to let the urgent things take priority over the most important things. Get accountability to help you keep the main things the main things. Hebrews 10:24
- Things come up. We need people we can count on. Whether it’s helping you move, watching your kids, or being there when life takes an unexpected turn, it’s great to know you have people who will be there. Ecclesiastes 4:12
- Two’s company. Two is better than one. Three can be even better. It doesn’t have to be a big group for it to be powerful. Matthew 18:20
- It’s biblical. For all practical purposes, the early Church was just a bunch of LifeGroups. Acts 2:42-47
- They’ll pray for you. We all need it, and it’s a wonderful feeling knowing people are praying for you.
- Loneliness stinks. You can be the cure for somebody. You could start your own LifeGroup just like I did.